About the Center for Climate Change Solutions
The Center for Climate Change Solutions is a program of UCLA's Institute of the Environment and Sustainability a vibrant program encompassing a broad array of disciplines united to bring about positive, sustainable change to preserve our complex and interdependent world for generations to come.
The CCCS welcomes potential partners to support and participate in its innovative activities. For more information, or to get involved, please contact us.
Leading the search for real solutions to real challenges
Located in the global city of Los Angeles, the Center for Climate Change Solutions leverages the world-class resources of the University of California Los Angeles to bring together experts from the natural sciences, business, law, public policy and planning, public health and medicine, and entertainment and the media.
Utilizing these resources and facilitating the collaboration of experts from all sectors of society, UCLA and the CCCS are leading the search for real solutions to the real challenges of climate change.
In order to accomplish the integrative mission of the Center for Climate Change Solutions—bridging the gap between science and society—we employ an integrative, tripartite strategy. This method, described below, is implemented through four types of activities or services.
Accomplishing this mission requires a three-fold approach, with each area of emphasis informed by and relevant to the others. To learn more, visit the webpages of these activities by clicking below or on the sidebar.
- Facilitate (Research): fostering new research and new solutions by bridging the gap between scientific disciplines.
- Communicate (Outreach): interface specialists respond to the needs of decision makers by connecting relevant science with critical societal challenges.
- Educate (Education): training current and future leaders to respond to the challenges of climate change. Each of these areas is entirely dependent on the others. By simultaneously operating at the intersection of these three roles, the Center intends to see both outreach and research improved substantially. The intersections of these efforts is depicted in the diagram below.
The CCCS offers four core services:
GOAL: To promote and facilitate dialog between researchers and decision-makers
- Respond to the needs of state and local resource managers
- Work with NGOs and government on mitigation and adaptation efforts
- Communicate the key challenges posed by climate change to decision-makers
- Integrative conferences and summits
GOAL: To nurture emerging science and develop critical tools for crafting sound policy
- CCCS will act as a hub for interdisciplinary research teams
- Actively survey the needs of policy- and decision-makers
- Best practices for urban communities and natural ecosystems
- A large focus on local and California issues
GOAL: To educate current and future leaders in global decision-making strategies
- Customized workshops
- Lectures and intimate discussions for diverse community leaders
- Graduate and undergraduate participation in research and outreach activities
- Interdisciplinary instruction in climate change
GOAL: To partner with diverse stakeholders to bring about positive, sustainable change
- Sustain a network of scientific and policy-making practitioners
- Create effective partnerships in response to particular challenges or needs
- Web-based interactive tools
- Collaborate with local, national, and international stakeholders
Published: Thursday, October 02, 2008