Welcome to Summer!
The Institute of the Environment and Sustainability ends the school year on a stellar note.
• We hosted the second independent IoES Commencement Celebration on June 12, 2011 at Korn Convocation Hall. Seventy-three students received their Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science.
• The Leaders in Sustainability program for graduate students became an official UCLA certificate program. It also received the 2010 Page Prize for Sustainability Issues in Business Curricula from the University of South Carolina’s Darla Moore School of Business.
• The UCLA La Kretz Center for California Conservation Science supported a number of activities this year including: the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s California Landscape Conservation Cooperative Workshop; Santa Monica Mountains Education Consortium's Training for Naturalists; National Park Service’s Inventory and Monitoring Program Climate Change Workshop, and the 2nd Annual Public Lecture.
• The Center for Tropical Research hosted a reception at the G2 Gallery in Venice on April 27, 2011 to highlight the new International Research and Training Center, Cameroon. The center was established to facilitate interdisciplinary environmental, health, and social science research focused on Central Africa.
• The California Energy Commission awarded $1 million for an IoES regional energy use and environmental and socioeconomic impact project.
• Twenty companies are now Corporate Partners Program members. The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (at the Gold Level), the Southern California Gas Company, and Sony Pictures Entertainment all recently joined.
• IoES sponsored close to 100 events on a variety of topics including: climate change, corporate environmental footprinting, nuclear energy, population studies, environmental education, Southern California water quality, and ecology.
These are just a few of our academic, research, and outreach achievements. We look forward to continued excellence in the 2011-2012 academic year.
Please enjoy learning more about the Institute through this newsletter. To stay up to date on all IoES activities subscribe to our listserv by writing firstname.lastname@example.org, visiting our web site, www.environment.ucla.edu, liking us on Facebook, and following us on Twitter.
UC Presidential Chair and
Director, Institute of the Environment and Sustainability
This bulletin is a quarterly publication that serves as a way to share information and connect with audiences. Through the newsletter we intend to build a comprehensive framework for communication that links the IoES with local, national, and global communities.