Twelve exceptional educators from the departments of public policy, chemical and bimolecular engineering, geography, civil and environmental engineering, earth and space studies and atmospheric and oceanic sciences have been appointed Affiliates of the Institute of the Environment and Sustainability.
Individuals were selected based on level of achievement, previous interactions with the IoES and direct connection to the goal of promoting environmental and sustainability research, education and outreach.
Affiliates are a new and officially designated class of IoES members and can develop and teach IoES courses, participate in IoES colloquia and informal sessions by attending or giving talks, lead or participate in research activities of the IoES, submit grants through the IoES when appropriate, list their IoES affiliation on publications, organize and/or participate in fund raising and outreach events benefiting the IoES, and represent the IoES in public forums.
The initial group of Affiliates bring a great depth and breadth of experience and include an IoES Southern California Environmental Report Card author, a Pulitzer Prize winner, a tropical biogeographer, climate change physical scientists, a former IoES post-doctoral scholar, engineers, policy specialists, an El Nino expert, department chairs and even a former UCLA Chancellor.
The Institute of the Environment and Sustainability is proud to introduce our new Affiliates:
- Albert Carnesale – Chancellor Emeritus & Professor, Department of Public Policy
- Yoram Cohen – Professor, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Jared M. Diamond – Professor, Department of Geography
- Thomas Gillespie – Associate Professor, Department of Geography
- Terri Hogue – Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Jennifer Jay – Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Craig E. Manning – Professor/Chair, Department of Earth and Space Sciences
- J. David Neelin – Professor/Vice Chair, Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
- Marilyn N. Raphael – Professor/ Vice Chair, Department of Geography
- Yongwei Sheng – Associate Professor, Department of Geography
- Laurence Smith – Professor, Department of Geography
- Rui Wang – Assistant Professor, Department of Public Policy
To view individual profiles of the Affiliates click here.